The purpose of IPERS' social media channels is to communicate important information to IPERS members and the general public. We aim to facilitate online conversations that are productive and informative. This page contains usage guidelines for IPERS’ social media channels.
- Information is made available to you for your independent use and is not intended to provide retirement, investment and/or legal advice. We cannot and do not guarantee its applicability or accuracy to your individual circumstances.
- We will not post any member’s private information.
- We will remove any information about a specific member.
- The information included on our social media sites does not amend or overrule any applicable statute or administrative rule. In the event of a conflict, the applicable statute or rule will prevail.
- We will not answer personal benefit-related questions on our social media pages. If you have questions about your benefits, contact IPERS between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday, at 515-281-0020 or 800-622-3849.
- Communication through direct messages or comments will not constitute a legal or official notice to IPERS or any official or employee of IPERS for any purpose.
- We are required to comply with Iowa Code Chapter 22 (Public Records Law) and ensure government is open and that the public has access to public records and information of which the State is the custodian. To that end, we automatically collect and store all information you post on our social media sites. All information you post on our sites may be subject to public disclosure under chapter 22, even if we have previously deleted it from the sites for a violation of our Personal Conduct policy.
- We may also share information you post on our sites with other state agencies for governmental purposes, including improving state government services. The information is not collected for commercial marketing purposes, and we do not sell or distribute this information for commercial, educational, or promotional use.
- Some of our social media platforms have social sharing enabled. This function allows site visitors to “like” or “share” our pages or posts on our site. Visitors to our site may be able to see who has shared or liked our pages our posts on our site. However, site visitors may not be able to see any information about people who have liked or shared our pages or posts on our site, unless they are friends with them on the respective social-media platform. IPERS does not collect or have access to any of this personal information.
- IPERS reserves the right to remove any comments or content that fail to comply with the Personal Conduct policy below.
- These policies may be changed at any time.
- While IPERS’ social media channels are an open forum, user content on our channels must be respectful. Comments or content that does not comply with IPERS’ policies may be removed. Users that repeatedly violate these policies may be blocked from the accessing the IPERS page.
- We do not allow graphic, obscene, abusive, or hateful comments or submissions intended to defame anyone or any organization.
- We do not allow solicitation and advertisements. This includes the promotion or endorsement of any financial, commercial or nongovernmental agency. Similarly, we do not allow attempts to defame or defraud any financial, commercial or nongovernmental agency.
- We do not allow content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation.
- You participate at your own risk and are responsible for your comments and any information you provide.
- The comments and opinions users express are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of IPERS.
The State of Iowa’s social media use policies are available here.