As you approach retirement, you may have questions about your IPERS benefits, the retirement process and more. We offer many tools and resources to help you make informed retirement decisions with confidence.
Preparing for Your Retirement
This booklet provides a high-level overview of your retirement options and the retirement process.
Nearing Retirement Checklist
As you approach retirement eligibility, the steps below help you make informed decisions with confidence.
Determine your retirement timeline.
It’s ok if you have a few different retirement dates in mind. We can prepare multiple estimates to help you understand how when you retire might affect your benefit amount.
Attend an IPERS workshop.
IPERS offers many workshops designed to help members plan for retirement and understand IPERS’ benefits. It is beneficial to attend a workshop within five years of retirement. You may attend them as often as you’d like and as space allows.
- Ready, Set, Retire workshop (for state agency employees) – held monthly via livestream.
- Creating a Secure Retirement workshop (for all IPERS members) – held monthly via livestream.
Watch our Understanding Your IPERS Benefits video series:
- Preparing for Retirement – This is an overview of IPERS' retirement plan. Learn about the formula used to calculate your benefit, purchasing service at retirement and rules for working after retirement.
- Completing Your Retirement Application - This video walks you through the retirement application step by step so you can learn how to complete your application and send it to IPERS with confidence.
- Benefit Estimate and Payment Options - This in-depth video describes IPERS’ different retirement options and how IPERS calculates your benefit amount.
Schedule a one-on-one appointment with an IPERS retirement counselor.
You can schedule an appointment in My Account or call us at 800-622-3849.
Review your benefit estimate.
Decide if you will purchase service.
During your counseling appointment you can discuss this option.
Choose your benefit payment option.
Review your benefit payment options. Discuss any questions during your appointment with a benefit counselor.